1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?:
2. 2008’s Goals:
Ha, I don’t even remember. Probably learning Spanish, that’s always my goal
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?:
4. Did anyone close to you die?:
No, thank goodness
5. What countries did you visit?:
None, but I did go to Florida
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?:
The ability to follow through on my goal to learn Spanish
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?:
None really, I don’t even remember the date I signed my lease and that was the biggest thing I did this year
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?:
Moving to my own place
9. What was your biggest failure?:
I don’t know if had any major failures
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?:
11. What was the best thing you bought?:
Most definitely my new bed, and all of my furniture. When I moved, the only thing I owned was a dresser. Also, I didn’t buy it, but my dad bought me a single-serve French Press coffee pot and it makes the most amazing coffee in the world. It has opened up a new dimension of coffee flavor that I never knew existed. .
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?:
Manny for being awesome and inspirational for reasons listed in Part 1. My parents for always being super supportive of me, helping me move, being generally awesome people, and buying me a MacBook for Christmas.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?:
People for voted for Prop 8 in California. There was also these two hate crimes that happened in New York against Latinos, that was appalling and depressing.
14. Where did most of your money go?:
Rent and furniture.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?:
Moving. Obama. Meeting Manny’s family
16. What songs will always remind you of 2008?:
“LES Artistes” by Santogold
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i) happier or sadder?: happier
ii) thinner or fatter?: the same, I think
iii) richer or poorer?: definitely poorer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?:
Spent quality time with my mom while I lived with her
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?:
I don’t really know… wasting time watching TV? Now that I don’t have cable TV (and don’t plan on getting it) I realized how much time I wasted watching shit on TV.
20. How did you spend Christmas?:
At home with the usual characters
22. Did you fall in love in 2008?:
Just with one person
23. How many one-night stands?:
Being in a relationship means I get 365 one night stands… actually, 366 because 2008 was a leap year. Sweet.
24. What were your favorite TV programs?:
Mad Men. I think Manny and I watched the entire first season in 1 day. Oh it was so good. Also, 30 Rock.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?:
Nope, no new hatred this year!
26. What was the best book you read?:
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?:
28. What did you want and get?:
My own apartment
29. What did you want and not get?:
I don’t know, I got so many good things I can’t think of something I didn’t get
30. What was your favorite film of this year?:
Slumdog Millionaire. Milk. Wall-e
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?:
I turned 24. I actually had a great birthday. I took off from work, when hiking with Manny in Pelham Bay Park, saw some neat birds, my mom made me eggplant parmesan for dinner (my favorite) and my buddies Jenn and Rob came over to celebrate.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?:
Liking my job better, doing more exciting things at work
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?:
Attempting to dress like an adult
34. What kept you sane?:
Manny, reading, my dog Leo, baking, blasting music
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?:
Obama. I also have a girl-crush on Angelina Jolie.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?:
37. Who did you miss?:
My friends who live everywhere but Brooklyn. My kitty Oliver that I had give away because he gave Manny allergic asthma. My car that my brother destroyed when he tried to drive it through a giant puddle during a rainstorm and the engine flooded. RIP my little Dodge Neon.
38. Who was the best new person you met?:
My girl Sashana at work. The smartest person I’ve ever met. We’re going to write a book together.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008
I think people should take always take pleasure in the little things – like when the subway comes just when you get the platform, when you find a beautiful parking space, having a great time with friends, eating delicious food, the perfect cup of coffee, your favorite song on the radio. Life is hard, but the little things make it okay.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
I can’t really appreciate lyrics without knowing the song. So, listen to LES Artistes by Santogold (check out that bizarre video) then read the lyrics. When I had decided to take the apartment and I was freaking out, not really knowing if I was making a good decision and feeling unsure of myself, I drove around in my Neon blasting this song:
What I’m searching for
to tell it straight, I’m tryin to build a wall
Walking by myself
down avenues that reek of time to kill
If you see me keep going
be a pass by waver
Build me up, bring me down
just leave me out you name dropper
Stop tryin to catch my eye
I see you good you forced faker
Just make it easy
You’re my enemy you fast talker
I can say I hope it will be worth what I give up
If I could stand up mean for all the things that I believe
What am I here for
I left my home to disappear is all
I’m here for myself
Not to know you
I don’t need no one else
Fit in so good the hope is that you cannot see me later
You don’t know me
I am an introvert an excavator
I’m duckin’ out for now
a face in dodgy elevators
Creep up and suddenly
I found myself
Change, change, change,
I want to get up out of my skin
tell you what
if I can shake it
I’m ‘a make this
something worth dreaming of